You are taking the first step towards building your custom home, you have been thinking about your dream home for quite a while and must have spent a few late nights pursuing to get ideas, you must have already chosen the perfect lot or the ideas for a floor plan. Selecting the right custom new home builders Hunter Valley is the most impactful decision you have to make along the road to your dream home. With the right builder like Vision Homes you can avoid the all too similar construction horror story and end up with the high quality dream home as well as smooth, enjoyable and creatively fulfilling experience for you and your family.
When To Choose Your Builder
The correct time to choose your builder is either before you begin the design phase with an architect or very soon after engaging an architect. Bringing a builder early in the design phase will ensure that your home design and your budget stay aligned throughout the process. A good custom builder will do much more than that during his architectural design phase . They will also –
● Closely collaborate with architect
● Keep plan development on schedule
● Provide unique design ideas
● Produce initial estimate on preliminary design
● Provide valuable construction expertise and Insight
● Offer Value Engineering and cost saving options
● Suggest high-performance home specs
● Mitigate potential constructability issues
Dig Deep In Your Search
Narrow down your list of top two or three choices. You can do this by digging deep with the online research and by reaching out to them through their website or phone.
Do as much homework as you can to see builders’ experience, strength of team members, diversity of portfolio on organisational ability, level of quality, values and philosophy, communication style and industry recognition.
You can either call the builder’s office or submit a contact us form on the website. The correspondence that follows will give you an idea of the team’s professionalism, responsiveness and willingness to help.
Interview top 2 – 3 Choices
This can be the most time consuming part of the process and also most crucial. You have to schedule a face-to-face meeting with each builder as well as request to visit a completed home and current job site with them. Face to face meeting gives you the chance to access –
● Effectiveness, organisation and transparency of their processes and Systems.
● Strength of their team and relevant experience.
● Communication style and the team and the personality of the Builder.
The site visit gives you a chance to assess-
● Quality of construction and finishes in their homes
● Safety measures and jobsite cleanliness
● How knowledgeable the builder is with their team’s project.
You should try not to skip this step, no matter how tempted you maybe. The references will be the clients, who had a positive experience with the Builder. These conversations can be helpful in getting a feel for what the builder’s specific strengths and weaknesses are. You can ask the builder to provide you with a few references preferably one past and one current client. This should not be a problem, they may have to contact their homeowners to get permission first but any other hesitation from the builder may be treated as a Red flag.