Search here...

Injured at the Movies? A Complete Guide to Premises Liability Law

Injured at the Movies? A Complete Guide to Premises Liability Law

If you’re injured at the movies or any other place, you might have a premises liability case. Read on to learn all about it!

In 2015, some terrifying statistics were revealed about movie theatres. It stated that 16 people had been killed in recent years and 80 others injured due to breaches in security which caused deadly shootings.

Whether you are injured at movies or in some other public place you are almost always entitled to compensation. However, you must prove your case. If you are concerned about exactly how you are going to do that, thankfully, there are several ways in which you can claim liability.

Here is a look at how premises liability works.

Injured at the Movies? A Complete Guide to Premises Liability Law

1. Identify the Owner

In order to win your case, you must prove that the person you are suing owns the property. If they do not own the property but occupied or leased it they are still liable for injuries that occurred on the property.

The reason this is important is that the court needs to ascertain that it was the defendant’s duty to ensure that the property was safe and in the best condition possible.

2. Prove Negligence

You must prove that the owner of the property was negligent in the way they used the property.

If you suffer an injury at a movie theatre you must prove that the safety regulations for operating a movie theatre were not adhered to. If it is a store then you must prove the same.

3. Your Status Upon Entering the Land

When you enter private or public property you usually do so under one of the following statuses.

  • invitee
  • licensee
  • trespasser

When you enter the property as an invitee you do so because the property is open to the public. Usually, it is open for the financial benefit of the owner.

For example, when you stay in a hotel while on vacation or when you go on a cruise ship you are classified as an invitee. When you enter a property as a licensee you are usually a guest, maybe you are attending a party or some other event.

A trespasser is someone who has no legal business on the land. Needless to say when you enter the land as an invitee or a licensee your host needs to ensure that the property is hospitable. If it isn’t and you get an injury they are liable.

If you have any confusion about your status on entering any land on which you were injured you can contact Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP and they will help you to identify your status.

4. Your Injuries

You must prove your injuries. This means you need to have written reports from medical personnel documenting your illness.

You must also have your medical bills on hand as well as proof that your medical issues have affected your life negatively.

Final Thoughts on Premises Liability

In order to prove premises liability, there are many things that come into play. Before you sue you must ascertain who is the actual owner of the property and prove negligence.

You must also identify your status upon entering the premises where you were injured. In most cases, you will either be an invitee or licensee. Finally, you must prove that you were really injured and how it has affected your life in any way.

If you would like more lifestyle tips, please explore our blog.

Heidi Gray

Money saving Mom/Nan (Grandma) of 1, who loves to travel, cook, and of course spend time with family. Fun.Travel.Food not necessarily in that order serving Missouri and beyond!



Leave a Reply

Notify of