This post may contain affiliate links. If these links are clicked, I may receive a small compensation. Regardless of these affiliations with these companies, my opinions are always 100% my own. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Patriotic Crayons are a great diy project to make for the kids this summer. Each year kids are bored before the Fourth of July holiday gets here and this year you will be armed and ready when the summer boredom monster strikes. Making these Patriotic Crayons is easy, fun and a great way to use broken crayons if you have them laying around. I know from my teaching days I have lots of broken crayons laying around.
Red, white, and blue crayons
Muffin or donut tin, metal pick up a star shape if you see it!
Non stick cooking spray
1. Begin by peeling away the wrappers on all of the crayons. Make sure all wrapping is removed thoroughly. This would be a great activity for the kids to do as well. Just have an adult check them to make sure all of the paper is gone.
2. Break the crayons into smaller segments. You want them to be about ½ an inch in length or less. Another great activity for the kids. I remember one time when my siblings and I got new crayons and rationalized that if we broke them we could all have our own crayons! Boy howdy was our mom mad and we got into trouble for it, but it was fun for us!
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the muffin or donut tin with non stick cooking spray.
4. Drop the crayon segments into the trays. You want to create one layer with the crayons.
5. Continue adding crayon segments until the tin is about 1/3 full. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until melted into a liquid.
6. Remove the tray and allow to cool. Transfer the tray to the freezer where it will rest for 10 minutes.
7. Remove the tray from the freezer and turn over to remove the crayons from the mold.
Your crayons can now be enjoyed! If they break during the removal process, simply place them back in the tray, melt again, and give it another try!
Be sure to try these Patriotic Crayons and share your results with us!