Recipes to Cook Using a Slow Cooker
Slow cookers are lifesavers if you love to multitask. With a slow cooker, you can cook while handling other activities (lol…) because the low temperature cooks food well. Various types of slow cookers exist in the market, but it is advisable to buy only after checking reviews to receive a high-quality cooker. Additionally, slow cooking is a one-step preparation as it allows placing all the ingredients at once in the slow cooker which saves preparation time and reduces clean up after you are done cooking. Many foods can be cooked in a slow cooker, and here are some of the main recipes to prepare using a slow cooker.
Why not check the slow cooker that has Mobile App
You can prepare vegetable lasagne which is low in calories in your slow cooker. The vegetable is layered with ratatouille, pasta, and sliced aubergine. The ingredients of this recipe are 1 tbsp. Rapeseed oil, 2 sliced onions, 2 large chopped garlic cloves, 2 large diced (400g) courgettes, 1 red and 1 yellow pepper (deseeded and roughly sliced), 400g can chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp tomato purée, 2 tsp vegetable bouillon, 15g fresh basil (chopped plus a few leaves), 1 large aubergine (sliced across length or width for maximum surface area), 6 wholewheat lasagne sheets (105g), and 125g vegetarian buffalo mozzarella, chopped. The method of cooking is:
- fHeat the rapeseed in a large non-stick pan and add the onions and garlic stirring for 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the courgettes, the peppers and the tomatoes with tomato puree, two tablespoons of billon and basil. Stir the mixture for 5 minutes, and the vegetables will produce enough water, therefore do not add water.
- Add half of the sliced aubergine in the base of the slow cooker, and top up with 3 sheets of lasagne.
- Add a third of the ratatouille mixture, the remaining half slices of aubergine, and 3 more sheets of lasagne and then cover with the remaining ratatouille mixture.
- Cover and cook on high temperature for 2½ – 3 hours until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Then switch off the slow cooker, add the mozzarella and let it settle or 10 minutes to allow all the cheese to melt. Scatter the remaining basil and serve.
[amazon_link asins=’B00B7N00JU,B008YEXC22,B076QJNK8G,B07984N165′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’lifewithheidi-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’55e58bfa-d2f4-11e8-94b7-91f8edf7582f’]
You can also prepare a slow cooker beef stew for tender meat. This recipe involves adding smoked paprika or mushrooms for extra flavor. The ingredients are 1 chopped onion, 2 finely chopped celery sticks, 2 tbsp. Rapeseed oil, 3 carrots (halved and cut into chunks), 2 bay leaves, a ½ pack of thyme, 2 tbsp. Tomato purée, 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 beef stock cubes or stock pots, 900g diced beef, 2 tbsp. Cornflour (optional), and ½ small bunch chopped parsley. The method of this recipe is:
- Fry the onion and celery in 1 tbsp. of rapeseed oil for about 5 minutes until they soften.
- Add the carrots, bay leaves, and thyme and let them fry for 2 minutes. Add the puree and Worcestershire sauce followed with 60ml boiling water. Stir everything and tip them in a slow cooker pan.
- Add the stock cubes or pots and then season with pepper.
- In a frying pan, fry beef in the remaining oil in batches until they have browned and then tip each batch into the slow cooker. Cook on high temperatures for 4 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- If you want a thick gravy, mix the cornflour with a little bit of cold water to form a paste and add it in the slow cooker. After the set time, add parsley and cook for 30 more minutes and then serve.
You can use a slow cooker to cook vegetable curry with coconut sauce. The ingredients to this recipe are 400ml can light coconut milk, 3 tbsp. mild curry paste, 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, 1 red chili (deseeded and sliced), 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger, 3 sliced garlic cloves, 200g butternut squash (peeled weight and cut into chunks), 1 red pepper (deseeded and sliced), 1 small aubergine (about 250g, halved and thickly sliced), 15g chopped coriander, 160g defrosted frozen peas and 1 juiced lime. The method is:
- Put the coconut milk, the curry paste, vegetable bouillon, chili, ginger, garlic cloves, butternut, pepper, aubergine into the slow cooker pot and stir. Cover and let it settle overnight.
- Cook the next day on low temperature for 6 hours until the vegetables are tender. Switch the slow cooker off and add the coriander and peas, the heat of the curry will warm them up. Squeeze the lime juice and serve.
These are some of the significant recipes to cook using a slow cooker. However, other recipes are being discovered daily such as slow cooker chicken curry, chicken casserole, Spanish chicken, and beef curry.