Top 10 Ways to Declutter
Have you ever felt like your being taken over by the clutter monsters? Clutter can add up without even trying. Whether you have a hard time letting go, or you just can’t stand clutter, you can cut your clutter in half using these top 10 ways to cut clutter.
- Use the 6 Month Rule: This rule is really quite simple. If you have an item and you haven’t used it, worn it, or even thought about it in 6 months, get rid of it!
- Think Before you Buy: Think before you buy something. Try on clothes to make sure they fit and look good. Think about whether or not you need the item. If you can do without it, don’t buy it.
- Spring Clean: Take spring time to do some spring cleaning. Spring is the time to get whatever you don’t use out of your house, so take advantage of it.
- Have a Garage Sale: It can be hard to let go of things especially just get rid of it, so instead of letting go, sell it. Having a garage sale not only helps you with extra cash but helps someone else find a new use for your old clutter.
- Take Items to a Thrift Store once a Month: Thrift stores continuously need new items to sell. Keep bags or box lying around your house and drop things in it as you feel you don’t want or need them. Take the bag or box to the thrift store once a month.
- Donate to the Homeless Shelter: A great way to get rid of clutter is to help people less fortunate out. Instead of selling or throwing out your items, take them to the local homeless shelter.
- Limit Shelving Units: Limit your shelving units because the more shelving you have, the more places you have to store clutter. If you limit your shelving, you will limit your clutter.
- Keep on Top of Your Mail: Mail can become a cluttered mess especially if you just keep piling it day after day. Take time each week to go through your pile and get rid of junk mail while filing your important mail.
- Limit Junk Drawers: Once your junk drawer is full, go through it and get rid of things you don’t need. If you keep using a new junk drawer, all your drawers will soon be cluttered with junk.
- Don’t Impulse Buy: It can be so easy to buy something you see that looks great in the store, but that impulse buying can lead to serious clutter later on. Instead, put a money freeze on buying anything until you determine the necessity of it.
Getting rid of clutter can be tough, but if you stay on top of it before it gets out of control, you can keep your home clutter free!