Unique Ways to Save for a New Car
It won’t be off the line new but it will be new to us and that is a huge money saver itself. But in the meantime we save money by living frugally and not using credit cards to add to our debt. However, that isn’t all we do here are a few of our money saving tips for our new car fund.
- Shop thrift stores, consignment sales and garage sales for gently used clothing. Instead of paying full price for new items we pay a fraction of the cost and put the “extra” in our new car fund.
- We drink coffee we make at home as well as bring glasses with us everywhere we go. We fill them up with water when out running around as needed.
- Save our spare change. This is either earmarked for vacation or new car depending on the month. But we always have a jar of change to fall back on in case we need it.
- Have a garage sale or online sale with things you no longer need or use. We clean things out around here weekly and post them online in local groups, then we arrange a meet up for the person to buy them.
- Bartering isn’t a thing of the past, you have something someone wants and vice versa. You just have to find them in your area. For everything we barter we take that money and put it toward our new car. For example, if we bartered fresh garden tomatoes for a dozen eggs that would result in a $2 deposit for our new car fund.
- Leftovers are my lunch! Each night for dinner we have a home-cooked meal and the leftovers become my next day’s lunch.
- We have a no spending week and eat things we have around the house. Some weeks we have to get creative, but the money we don’t spend is usually added to our new car fund. For example, our “misc.” fund is $50 a week. If we don’t spend it, it goes into the fund as well as any leftovers from shopping.
Follow just a few of these tips and you will be driving your new car in no time. Be sure to check out my friends over at Warsaw Chrysler Jeep and Ram for all of your automotive needs.