Why Use Top Silicone Cooking Utensils at Home
Are you a proud owner of a non-stick cookware set? Would you like your cooking utensils to be durable, handy, and easy on that favorite pan of yours?
Is Silicone Safe to Cook With?
When most people hear silicone, they think of that magical stuff found in sealants, resins, oils, adhesives, insulation, and implants. But as a substance, silicone has many uses. And one of them is serving as a material for cooking utensils.
Cooking utensils made of silicone utilize a BPA-free version of this material. As such, they’re completely safe and non-toxic to use. And if a set of silicone cooking utensils also boasts an FDA approval, it’s even safer to use.
- Odor-resistant Unlike wood, plastic and metal cooking utensils, silicone utensils don’t cling on to food particles. These handy utensils are also less likely to stain or smell.
- Bacteria-Resistant Wood, nylon, and even metal can become hosts to hordes of bacteria. Wood and nylon plastics are the biggest culprits here. Wood absorbs moisture. And nylon is prone to scratching. This makes them perfect breeding grounds for bacteria. Silicone cooking utensils don’t absorb water, are resistant to scratching, and involve whole pieces.
- Dishwasher-safe When it comes to cooking utensils, silicone is one of the easiest materials to clean. Wood should never be put in the dishwasher, as it can cause the utensils to either swell or crack. And metal cooking utensils can rust or tarnish, depending on what the metals they use.
- Flexible Wood and metal tend to be the stiffest types of cooking utensils. Nylon cooking utensils are somewhat flexible but force you to apply too much pressure when you use them. This is where silicone cooking utensils come out on top. Silicone cooking utensils are flexible enough to bend easily, without feeling like a handful of limp noodles in your palms.
- Affordable Metal and nylon sets are often fairly expensive depending on the set and number of utensils in it. And wooden cooking utensil sets need frequent replacements due to lack of durability. Silicone, on the other hand, is both affordable and durable. As a result, you can buy a decent set and use it for a long time.
Types of Silicone Cooking Utensils
The materials that go into cooking utensils are important. But they’re not the only factor that makes cooking utensil sets differ. Since silicone is such a pliable material, cooking utensil sets made of it tend to be very diverse.
Most silicone cooking utensil sets include serving spoons, ladles, whisks, basting brushes, slotted spoons, skimmers, and pasta forks. They also come with tongs, potato mashers, and all types of spatulas.
Besides utensils, you can also see silicone ice trays, cake pans, muffin pans, bread pans, oven mitts, and other kitchenware.
8 Things to Look for When Choosing Silicone Cooking Utensils
To make sure you land a decent set of silicone cooking utensils, look for these features:
Silicone is a close second to metal when it comes to heat resistance. The best silicone cooking utensils withstand up to 500 to 650 degrees.
2. No-Scratch Protection
This feature is a sign of high quality. And will help keep your silicone utensils looking as good as the day you bought them.
Silicone utensils are made with either stainless steel or wooden handles. They can be silicone-coated or made of silicone. All silicone cooking utensil sets are very durable.
4. Easy to Maintain
5. Number of Pieces
You can purchase individual pieces or full sets that include most or all types of cooking utensils. The best silicone cooking utensil sets often have 10 or more pieces.
6. Color Selection
Silicone cooking utensils come in a variety of colors. This is perfect for those who like things to be color-coded or have their favorite color. Or those who want utensils that match their kitchen color scheme.
7. Hanging Loops
Most of us take this simple feature for granted. Hanging loops are great for those who enjoy a tidy kitchen and easy access to all of their cooking utensils.
Taking Cooking to a New Level with Silicone Cooking Utensils
Versatile, reliable, and low-maintenance, silicone cooking utensils are the little kitchen helpers you’ve been looking for all along. We hope our guide has helped you find out more about them.