Packing for the Beach
The beginning of the summer is here and we are heading to the beach very soon. But since we aren’t “near” a beach we don’t head there very often, so I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget anything so I made up a list! If you have been following me very long you know that I am a planner so this was a must have for me, then I decided to share it with you so that you had it as well.
Packing for your Family Beach Vacation
It’s summer and the sand and surf are calling to you. There is a lot to do at the beach. If your family is planning a beach vacation, here are some tips to be sure that you are ready for the trip.
If you have a large family it can be a daunting process to get everyone ready for a family vacation. Since you know the date when you are leaving, give yourself enough leeway to pack what you need so that you are not throwing stuff together at the last minute. Time equals less stress for mom and dad.
One faux pas of vacationers is taking too much along. In the summertime, you want to carry as little as possible. Check with the hotel or condo where you will be staying to see what amenities they offer. For instance, if they have a washer and dryer they may also provide detergent. You can leave that off your list.
Here are some practical ways to make packing painless.
* Use separate bags for each family member – It may seem practical to put little Johnny’s things in with yours, but it will create more chaos upon arrival. Even if he has a small suitcase, a quick check can verify if you have packed all his needs.
* Leave room for what you bring back – We pack suitcases to the gills so that there is no room left for anything else. Think ahead. Instead of trying to keep track of individual shopping bags, pack each person’s souvenirs in their respective bag so that everything is accounted for.
* Dress appropriately – Take a look at the weather forecast for the week of vacation. If they are calling for rain but high temperatures, or sun but breezy, pack accordingly. Even in the rain, light-colored clothing made of cotton will allow your skin to breathe and keep you comfortable. Pack a windbreaker with a hood if inclement weather is a possibility.
* Consider your activities – Now that you have clothing, what about the beach fun? What will you need? Definitely pack a bathing suit, beach shoes, towels, hats, umbrellas, cover-ups and sand toys for the kids. Keep the beach items together but separate from the other luggage so you can grab them from the car easily for quick set-up on the sand.
* Pack toiletries last – You will get up on the morning of departure and wash and brush your teeth. Leaving this until last ensures that you will not forget toothbrush, deodorant or shampoo. If the family uses the same types of items, buy larger product sizes to be shared instead of several individual ones.
Last but not least, check to be sure all bags are by the door the night before you leave. This gives you time to do a final check so you are ready to go the next morning. Beach vacations are a lot more fun and stress free when you pack accordingly.